Clinics & Services
This is provided in regular clinics. Your doctor or health visitor will refer you if necessary.
The unit provides a completely confidential Family Planning service. Please make an appointment with the doctor.
Emergency Contraception: you need to make an appointment to see a doctor within 48 hours, of unprotected sex. Some chemists will provide emergency contraception without a prescription, but for a charge. However, if you are using the chemist in Measham you will need a prescription to obtain emergency contraception.
Our team of Health Care Assistants provide the following services:
- Health Checks - health checks include simple observations such as taking blood pressure, weight, height, BMI and to discuss any recent blood results.
- Ear Syringing
- Lung Function Testing - a basic test to check a patient’s lung function capacity to see if full spirometry may be required.
- INR Clinics - this clinic is available to all patients taking Warfarin tablets. Blood can be tested by a simple finger prick and results and dose given immediately without travelling to the hospital.
- Urea Breath Test – a simple test to tell whether a bacteria called Helicobactor Pylori is present in the stomach. The complete test takes around 40 minutes.
- ECG Clinic - we perform routine ECGs and 24 hour ECGs.
- Sleep Study Clinic - available for patients with possible sleep apnoea.
One of our healthcare assistants is teamed with our nursing team and provides the following services:
- Spirometry Clinics - for patients as an aid to diagnosis of asthma and COPD and also for the disease
management of COPD.
- Diabetic Clinics - providing clinical and admin support for the Doctors and Practice Nurses as part
of the patients annual review.
- Hypertension Clinics
- D Dimer - a simple blood test to check for thrombosis.
- T Troponin - a simple blood test performed on some patients who have chest pain, along with an ECG to look at any possible problems with the heart.
Mrs Diane Watts, Mrs Ann Lee, Mrs Anne Sellwood and Mrs Julie Williams provide special clinics for diabetes, asthma, heart disease management and advice on the menopause. They offer a cervical smear service (as do most doctors – please ask.)
Travel injections are available through our travel service. If you are travelling abroad our Travel Clerks will deal with all the administration. Please collect a Travel Form from Reception or Download and Print the Questionnaire from the Travel Vaccination page, please complete the questionnaires and return to us within a minimum of 6 weeks before your departure date. If you are needing any vaccinations and it is under the 6 week period then we may ask you to contact a Private Travel Clinic instead. Extra charges are made for protection against some illness, such as Rabies, Yellow Fever, Japanese Encephalitis and Malaria.
You can find more information including our online travel form on the above tab.
Liquid Nitrogen - Cryotherapy
Cryotherapy is a technique of freezing lesions on the skin and can be a useful way of shrinking/removing things like verrucas, warts etc.
The doctor will be able to freeze the lesion with liquid nitrogen at Measham Medical Unit, if it is appropriate to do so.
We provide shared care during your pregnancy between our midwife and a named GP of your choice. If you know you are pregnant you can book your first appointment with the Midwife without seeing a GP. The midwife will offer you a choice of Hospitals for your delivery and the option of a home confinement if appropriate. Antenatal workshops are also provided. The midwifery service will also come and see you and your baby at home during the post natal period.
Information on Pelvic Floor Exercises
Click here for more information